Welcome to the SOLWAY Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
2014 CARLISLE BEER FESTIVAL 30 OCTOBER - 1 NOVEMBER IN THE HALLMARK HOTEL, CARLISLE
Our branch area extends from the Scottish border in the north, east to the Cumbria/Northumberland border near Nenthead, down to Penrith, along the A66 to Mungrisedale, before going north through the northern fells to Ireby and out to the Solway coast at Silloth.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you will be more than welcome at any of your meetings or socials. Branch Diary
Existing CAMRA members can access Branch Meeting minutes in the Members' Area, using their CAMRA membership number and the same password that they use to log onto the National CAMRA website.The branch AGM took place in Carlisle on- Monday 23rd June 2014.The Chairman's report and other information can be found here.
Next Branch Meeting - 29 September 2014 at Spinners Arms Cummersdale, starting at 8pm
The 26th of July saw the official opening of the new beer garden. Built on the site of the former Platform One bar, whose outside wall has been retained with two windows and a door opening. These have metal grills fitted for security. The paved area has a partition wall, hard wood tables and chairs ,as well as a covered area with seating. There are built in flower boxes and hanging baskets which give the courtyard a pleasant feel. The sun shone, the live music went down very well ,as did the free beer and Pimms. Thank you Matt, and good luck with what I am sure will be a popular beer garden.
Congratulations to all at the Fetherston Arms, Kirkoswald for winning our 2014 Pub of the Year award - see our Awards page for more details.
'The Fethers' has deservedly won our 2014 Pub of the Year. The Fetherston Arms won our Pub of the Season in Spring 2012 and has now won our top award. The pub is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide.
The pub has extended it's opening hours from the beginning of this month and is now open all day, except Monday, when it opens at 4pm. Locally sourced food is available every day, except Monday.
Pub of the Season - Summer 2014 - The Wheatsheaf Inn, Wetheral
Congratulations to Lynne & Graham Watt, staff and "regulars" at the Wheatsheaf for winning our Pub of the Season award for the second time! In selecting the Wheatsheaf, a number of our members commented on the friendly, relaxing atmosphere at the pub as well as the excellent quality of the real ales. The "Wheaty" is an attractive, traditional inn. It’s a cosy pub with a friendly atmosphere where drinkers and diners mingle and socialise. Outside there's an excellent beer garden. Dogs and Children are allowed but must be kept under control The “Wheaty” offers good value whether it’s their excellent homemade food or their reasonably priced range of real ales. Lynne and Graham have done an excellent job since taking over the "Wheaty".
National CAMRA News
- Government Announces Pub Company Reform: CAMRA Celebrate Campaign Win!
Thousands of licensees will be protected from unfair business practices in the pub industry and our nation's pubs protected following today’s Government announcement which unveils plans for a Pubs Adjudicator
- Listen: York publican speaks out on pub company reform
In a podcast interview broadcast last week, York CAMRA member Nick Love speaks with licensee Paul Crossman to discuss the “desperate need” for pubco reform. You can listen to the
- 2014 European Election results a hit for beer drinkers
Last week the European Parliament Election results were announced, with 24 of the 73 newly elected MEPs pledging support for community pubs, real ale and consumer rights in Europe. Among
- Petition delivered to Government on pubco reform
Thanks to the overwhelming response from CAMRA members, activists and licensees, our petition calling on the Government to "End the Great British Pub Scandal" secured over 44,000 signatures before being
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 14:55 : Is anyone aware of any beers that have been brewed to commemorate WWI? #camra_official
- Wednesday, 16:30 : Is it the age of 'Super Pubs'? Interesting stats from @MarketingWeekEd. How can pubs reach a wider audience? ow.ly/AwFXg #CAMRA
- Tuesday, 12:30 : RT @LiverpoolCAMRA: @caskaleweek Pubs breweries @CAMRA_Official CAW emptybelly posters logos available to download caskaleweek.co.uk/info-media/dow… hpic.twitter.com/vfPuaiHA6d
- Tuesday, 10:55 : Heard today's @BBCWomensHour focusing on wine, it would be great to have a piece on British Real Ale- we'd be happy to help!
- Monday, 16:13 : Excellent article highlighting the need for Pubco Reform to protect hard working licensees: theguardian.com/global/comment… #fairdeal4locals