Welcome to the SOLWAY Branch of CAMRA - The Campaign for Real Ale
Our branch area extends from the Scottish border in the north, east to the Cumbria/Northumberland border near Nenthead, down to Penrith, along the A66 to Mungrisedale, before going north through the northern fells to Ireby and out to the Solway coast at Silloth.
If you live within our area and have an appreciation for Real Ale then you will be more than welcome at any of your meetings or socials. Branch Diary
Existing CAMRA members can access Branch Meeting minutes in the Members' Area, using their CAMRA membership number and the same password that they use to log onto the National CAMRA website.The branch AGM took place in Carlisle on- Monday 23rd June 2014.The Chairman's report and other information can be found here.
Next Branch Meeting - starting at 8pm on 5 January 2015 at Howard Arms
Congratulations to all at the Fetherston Arms, Kirkoswald for winning our 2014 Pub of the Year award - see our Awards page for more details.
'The Fethers' has deservedly won our 2014 Pub of the Year. The Fetherston Arms won our Pub of the Season in Spring 2012 and has now won our top award. The pub is a regular entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide.
The pub has extended it's opening hours from the beginning of this month and is now open all day, except Monday, when it opens at 4pm. Locally sourced food is available every day, except Monday.
Pub of the Season - Autumn 2014 - The Drovers Rest, Monkhill
Congratulations to Bill and Linda Robinson, their daughter, Sarah, and her partner, Sandy Williamson, on winning our pub of the season award.
The pub name derives from cattle drovers who travelled from Scotland over the rivers Esk and Eden on their way to cattle fairs at Penrith and beyond.
The Drovers is the epitome of a community pub. As well as being the local pub, it serves as the village shop selling a range of basic groceries. It's also a collection point for the Carlisle Food Bank.
Prior to the arrival of the Robinson family, the Drovers had been in sad decline for a number of years. Together with Sandy, they have worked extremely hard to develop the business and maintain a vital community asset.
When Sandy at the 2013 Carlisle Beer Festival told us they had three or four guest beers on sale we were sceptical. Pleasingly, how wrong we were! A year after they took over the pub (26 August 2013), they've had an amazing 115 different real ales from 44 breweries on sale (including 20 Cumbrian breweries)!
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday 20th November, 11:20 : RT @WBandBEER: Wow. Government has accepted market rent only amendment without a fight. Great work @FairDeal4Locals @GregMulholland1 and @CAMRA_Official
- Thursday 20th November, 10:53 : RT @ThePubChampion: BREAKING NEWS: Announcement in @HouseofCommons: Govt accept NC2 & @FairDeal4Locals! It is going to happen folks! We hav#madepubhistory
- Tuesday 18th November, 17:13 : RT @GwynneMP: A vote for common sense... Fair market rent and an fair price for ale! Great campaign by @CAMRA_Official #voteforpubs http://pic.twitter.com/7oXxB9PUxA
- Tuesday 18th November, 16:22 : RT @IanMurrayMP: Govt been defeated on pubs vote. 284 to 269. A real victory for publicans up and down the country. Well done @tobyperkinsmp@CAMRA_Official
- Tuesday 18th November, 16:22 : RT @BenPBradshaw: Great result as @UKLabour with some LibDem & Tory rebels defeats Government on #pubcoreform Well done @CAMRA_Official on …